Lenten Activities for Families & Youth
Are you looking for Lenten devotionals and activities to engage the whole family? ADOTS Canon for Youth & Family Ministry, Jessica Greiner, shares a list of her favorite resources for this season.
Devotional and activity guides:
- Good Dirt by Lacy Finn Borgo & Ben Barczi. Good Dirt takes a cue from nature and the garden and combines kid-friendly seasonal activities and daily devotionals with readings from the Gospels. Children and adults participate together as they learn to “till, plant, water, and weed their souls,” while readings guide families through Jesus’ life, death, and resurrection. Canon Jessica highly recommends this seasonal guide!
- Camels, Carols, Crosses and Crowns – Advent and Lent Activities for Children, by Shiela Kielly & Sheila Geraghty. This book explores the imagery, history, and traditions of the seasons of Advent and Lent, incorporating them into worship.
- Before and After Easter – Activities and Ideas from Lent to Pentecost, by Debbie Trafton O’Neal. Offering daily activities, this colorful book combines crafts, recipes, and “fascinating facts” for all of Lent, Easter Day, and each week of the Easter season.
Storybooks to enjoy during Lent and Easter:
- Journey to the Cross by Helen Haidle, ages 6-12.
- Benjamin’s Box by Melody Carlson, ages 4-7.
- Amon’s Adventure by Arnold Ytreeide, ages 8-12.