ADOTS Voices Unite for Life: Get Involved in 2020!
ADOTS at March for Life, Washington, D.C., January 2020
2020 will be an important year for Sanctity of Life issues, according to Dcn. Georgette Forney, the President of Anglicans for Life. After recently testifying at a congressional hearing for H.R. 2975, the “Women’s Health Protection Act,” she wrote on the AFL website that the Church must intensify awareness efforts.
“After 47 years of fighting, polls are now showing that people don’t love abortion… We must increase our ministry outreach programs to pregnant women, so they reject abortion,” she writes.
In January, Archbishop Foley Beach and a group from around ADOTS attended the Life Summit hosted by Anglicans for Life, and the March For Life in Washington, D.C. In February, Holy Cross Cathedral hosted a “Life Issues Luncheon” to help educate and inspire others to take action in their communities. And the momentum shouldn’t end there in 2020.
Canon Greg Goebel, who represented ADOTS as part of the March for Life team said, “This is not a partisan issue. The earliest Christians worked to support motherhood and fatherhood, and to save (and adopt) babies who were exposed in the wilderness. They also later lobbied the Emperor to change laws to protect the unborn and infants. Whatever your party affiliation, this is a historic and continuing Christian work and we are glad to be a part of this important effort. Big thanks to our Life Coordinator, Paulette Ivey for working so hard to keep us informed and connected.”
Anglicans for Life offers a myriad of suggestions — big and small — on how you can advocate, educate, or minister in the areas of life issues. Here are just a few:
- Pray. Join the AFL Prayer Team and receive a calendar every quarter with topics to pray about, such as women who are considering abortion, those who have had abortions, the elderly, handicapped, teens, and families.
- Educate yourself, so you’re ready in any conversation. Read Dcn. Georgette’s recent post and become familiar with the bullet point abortion facts.
- Educate others with AFL’s new Project Life Sunday School Curriculum for your church for adults and teens about abortion, stem cell research, euthanasia, post-abortion healing, and more.
- Become an AFL Life Liaison or Chapter Leader and receive the AFL monthly newsletters in bulk for parishioners to take home.
- Participate in the Spring or Fall 40 Days for Life Campaign, featuring fasting and prayer vigils outside an abortion clinic. The Spring campaign is happening now through April 5.
“Learn how your church can have your own Anglicans for Life Chapter and make a difference for Life in your community,” says Paulette Ivey, the ADOTS Sanctity of Life Coordinator. “Ask the Lord how he would have you be involved in life issues in 2020.”